Your A/C unit can give off a variety of signs to indicate when there is a problem. Being able to identify these signs can mean the difference between repair and replacement. Don’t ignore problems, get them checked out by a professional air conditioning contractor. The last thing you want during a hot summer is to have your A/C system breakdown.
Below are 6 signs you should not ignore!
- No cool air. When your A/C System is blowing warm air, it’s a clear sign something is wrong. It may be an indication that something as small as a bad capacitor or blown fuse, which is an easy fix, or a sign of a refrigerant leak, which is a much bigger issue. It may also be a sign of that your system’s compressor has failed or needs service.
- Lack of airflow. Be sure to check your air filter and change it every month. A dirty air filter can compromise airflow throughout your whole system. This may also be a sign your compressor is failing and that it’s time to consider replacing your A/C system.
- Thermostat problems. Sometimes the root of the problem is your thermostat, not your A/C system. Thermostat issues may be the problem if you find your home is very cold in one part but stays at the same temperature in another.
- Moisture (where it shouldn’t be). If you find water pooling near your air conditioner, it may be coming from a drain tube, which could be blocked or broken. This is a simple fix but should be handled quickly to avoid mold problems. A more serious leak is a refrigerant leak. This poses a serious health risk – call a professional and get this fixed right away.
- Unusual Odors. Pay attention to any unusual smells. A strong, foul smell in your A/C vents normally means the wire insulation of your unit has burned out. Musty smells indicate mold inside your unit or ductwork.
- Strange sounds. Strange sounds such as squealing or grinding sounds indicate a serious problem, such as a slipped belt, components needing lubrication or a broken motor bearing. Call a professional to check out the problem. Not dealing with this problem can lead to more costly damage to your system later on.
Don’t ignore the signs your A/C system is giving you. Many of these problems can be spotted through annual maintenance by a professional technician before they become major, more expensive problems. At Best Heating & Cooling, we’re here to help you out with all of your Utah County and Salt Lake City area A/C problems. Give us a call or schedule service online.